Skip to main content

Grooming my boys to be grooms

There's a great and well known parenting adage I subscribe to:  "Never do for your kids what they can do for themselves".  Not only does it help kids to be more responsible, confident and independent, but having them do more, means I get to do less! Now I have so much time on my hands I can even complain more!!

My little fellas are now aged 8, almost 6 and 4.  Wyatt, the eldest (aka Bossy), frequently does his own laundry, cleans bathrooms, vacuums, mops, dusts and even has crabs!  (Hermit crabs...the pet variety).  He's even started making breakfast for the family and his own school lunches.  He gets paid for none of this. 

Noah and Spencer, the younger brothers (aka Needy and Demanding) also clean bathrooms, vacuum, dust, polish, help with laundry washing/folding, sweep floors, wipe tables, garden, etc...  No money there either.  This is all on top of their daily expectations- to wake independently, pick their own clothes (now you know why they always look so gaudy), get dressed, tidy rooms, make beds and so on. 

At first glance, if your own kids do none of this, you will likely accuse me of running some sort of kiddie concentration camp.  "Kids doing household work!  How cruel!"  On the contrary, I remind our guys that our family is also a TEAM and that any team is only as good as the individual players.  So to run this household effectively, we all pitch in.  Okay, by now you can only imagine the complaining from kids and yes, they do toss out the ever popular "I don't want to" more than once a day to which I retort, "neither do I, but we do it anyway".  I have taken on the role of team coach...in case you were wondering...so yes, I have a clipboard.

In an all-male household I am acutely aware that I am:
 a) the main and only female role model (besides the cat...but she licks herself)
 b)  greatly outnumbered by XY chromosomes
 c) the only one that needs the toilet seat to be in the down position to urinate

Ignoring points b and c for a moment (and the part about Minou the cat), I feel entirely responsible for ensuring that these little tykes grow into amazing, capable, communicative and caring men.  I want to show them that women can do it all and as such I put my best foot forward to model non-traditional female behaviour in front of them: weight-training, cutting grass, taking on construction jobs, giving my husband  piggie-back rides, occasionally burping, etc...  On the flip side,  I also try and model more traditional female behaviours: cuddling, endless chit-chat, letting them brush my hair, pretending to be hurt so that they can try and comfort me- you know, all the drama they will one day encounter with their future wives. 

Field note:  So far only Needy and Demanding (boys 2 and 3) seem to display genuine concern regarding my false injuries...Bossy (boy 1) doesn't even flinch...must increase his exposure to Gilmore Girls and Oprah reruns by 100%.


"Demanding" harvesting veggies from the garden
 As I type this, Bossy is sweeping, Needy is wiping the table and Demanding is holding the dust-pan, albeit grudgingly. And gosh darn it, one day these guys are going to make great husbands!  (either that or they will rebel only to eventually be featured on TLC's 2025 season of "Hoarders: My Mother Is To Blame" edition.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mom's Day: Our one day off and we still end up working

One of my absolute favourite Mother's Day cards can be found on the internet - it shows a woman applying to "Motherhood Inc." and she's reading through the employment contract - "One vacation day a year?!  That's all I get?!" she proclaims.  "We call it Mother's Day but technically you still have to work" says the interviewer.  So true. Every card a Mom gets on Mother's Day preaches the same utopic nonsense - advising Moms to "relax", "kick back", "pamper yourself"...  These cards are typically all written by men.  Have you ever noticed that men have no problem treating themselves to a full day with legs up, beverage in hand and mind empty of thoughts?  They don't even need it to be Father's Day!  It can just be any ol' Wednesday....sadly sometimes, the occasional deadbeat Dad will try and pull this stunt on Mother's Day - not cool.  Men are intrinsically wired to "unwind and chil

The Hottest Hire: Moms!

How staying at home to raise my kids lead to  more  work opportunities and the confidence to take them on. It's one of the biggest issues facing new Moms - the question of whether to put off a career in order to stay home raising our babies full-time, or whether to go back to work and focus on advancing our careers while we can. Historically, there's always been this perception that leaving the workforce during our prime earning years will severely hamstring our earning potential and career options later on. It's one of the most intensely difficult decisions women make - and is based on an outdated premise that one cannot start a robust, exciting, fulfilling and high-earning career at any stage in our lives. I remember feeling the intense scrutiny and judgment of working Moms when I opted to be a stay-at-home parent in those early years of my kids lives (I have three boys). There was an underlying assumption that I had chosen cookie baking, daytime television watch

Lipstick and hockey sticks: A girly Mom's guide to faking your way through kids hockey season

It's not easy being a skirt in a home chalk-full of rancid jocks.  But I've managed to get by.  You see, as the lone double X in a chromosomal pool of 4 XYs (5 if I include the dog), my interests in home decor, Fall fashions, beach-wave hair and pedis get buried somewhere underneath a pile of mismatched tube-socks, baseball gloves, goalie pads and Under Armour everything.  Don't get me wrong, I love being active.  I'm a daily exerciser, I enjoy 9-holes of golf and just finished up another summer season on a ladies ball-hockey team - and I literally still have no idea what the rules are (icing to me means confectioners sugar, butter and milk). I do my best at faking my way through "sporty" - just as Brittany Spears fakes her way through "talented" and "singing".  Pretending to love sports gives me a valid excuse to get out of the house for an hour each week to pursue an activity that my kids might actually care to inquire about.  "